Is there any way I can reduce the amount of property taxes I pay?

If you are having difficulty paying your property taxes, you may qualify for the State’s property tax postponement or property tax assistance programs for people who are blind, disabled, or 62 years of age or older. If your annual income is $24,000 or less, you may have the option of having the State pay all or part of your property taxes. This deferred payment is a lien on the property and becomes due upon sale, change of residence or death. For more information on property tax postponement, call the State Controller’s Office at 800-952-5661.

If your total annual household income is $12,000 or less, you may qualify for property tax assistance, whereby the State provides a cash reimbursement to pay for your property taxes. Filing for the program will not reduce the amount of taxes owed, nor will it result in a lien being placed on your property. For more information on property tax assistance, call the State Franchise Tax Board at 800-852-5711.

Show All Answers

1. What are the important tax bill dates?
2. What are all of these charges on my property tax bill?
3. What if I don’t agree with the assessed valuation of my property?
4. How do property taxes affect the value and marketability of my home?
5. What is Mello-Roos and why do I have to pay it?
6. Can a Mello-Roos district foreclose on my home?
7. Is my property subject to 180 day accelerated foreclosure?
8. Why do I have to give a buyer a Notice of Special Tax when I sell my property?
9. What is a 1915 Act Bond?
10. How are tax rates determined?
11. Is there any way I can reduce the amount of property taxes I pay?
12. What is a Homeowner’s Exemption?
13. Why did I receive a supplementary tax bill after purchasing my new home?
14. Will I receive a tax bill if I pay taxes through an impound account?
15. What are the consequences if I fail to make a timely property tax payment?