Why do I have to give a buyer a Notice of Special Tax when I sell my property?

Since July of 1990, California Civil Code Section 1102.6 has required that sellers make a good faith effort to give property buyers a “Notice of Special Tax” if the property is in a Mello-Roos district. The notice must include the current year’s maximum special tax for the parcel, the rate at which that maximum tax may increase per year, and the final date in which special taxes may be collected for bonded indebtedness. Property sold “as is” is not exempt from providing this disclosure, as stated in Section 1102.1 of the California Civil Code.

Show All Answers

1. What are the important tax bill dates?
2. What are all of these charges on my property tax bill?
3. What if I don’t agree with the assessed valuation of my property?
4. How do property taxes affect the value and marketability of my home?
5. What is Mello-Roos and why do I have to pay it?
6. Can a Mello-Roos district foreclose on my home?
7. Is my property subject to 180 day accelerated foreclosure?
8. Why do I have to give a buyer a Notice of Special Tax when I sell my property?
9. What is a 1915 Act Bond?
10. How are tax rates determined?
11. Is there any way I can reduce the amount of property taxes I pay?
12. What is a Homeowner’s Exemption?
13. Why did I receive a supplementary tax bill after purchasing my new home?
14. Will I receive a tax bill if I pay taxes through an impound account?
15. What are the consequences if I fail to make a timely property tax payment?