Building & Safety
In order to ensure the Health and Safety of City residents and the general public, Building & Safety coordinates and enforces all Building and Housing regulations established by state and local governments. You can obtain building permits, get answers to questions related to building and safety issues, and review building permit records at City Hall.
Inspections are performed Monday through Friday. Requests submitted before 4 p.m. will receive next business day inspections. Morning inspections are approximately between 8 a.m. and noon and afternoon inspections are from noon to 3:30 p.m.
- Daily Inspection List (PDF)
- Inspection Request Hotline: (949) 425-2545
Project designs shall comply with the following building codes adopted by the City:
- 2019 California (CA) Building Code
- 2019 CA Electrical Code
- 2019 CA Energy Code
- 2019 CA Green Building Standards Code
- 2019 CA Mechanical Code
- 2019 CA Plumbing Code
- 2019 CA Residential Code
- Aliso Viejo Municipal Code
The City is primarily located within Climate Zone 6; however, the northeast section is within Climate Zone 8, which includes:
- Night Heron @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Prairie Falcon @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Wigeon @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Additional Climate Information
- Wind Load 110 miles per hour
- Exposure C
- 100-Year Storm Rainfall - 2 inches per hour
Planning Approval Required
In order to ensure that projects meet the requirements of the Aliso Viejo Municipal Code, applicants are required to discuss and obtain approval for their project from the Planning Department, prior to the submittal of plans to the Building & Safety Department. Please see the Planning Department’s webpage for more information.
Method of Payment
- Cash, Check or Credit Card (2.7% Surcharge added to the transaction amount for credit card payments)
- Monday through Friday
7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
No construction allowed on Sundays or federal holidays.
Contact the City’s waste hauler, CR&R, for construction/demolition waste removal at 800-826-9677.
Reasons to Go Solar
Solar energy is a practical, cost effective, and environmentally sound way to heat and cool a home. If you are interested in the benefits of solar energy, refer to the following documents: